Bigger, Better, Crazier, Dubai
Dubai is more American than all of the United States of America together. You'll find something impressive behind every corner. Impressive means in this particular case mentioned in the Guinness book of world records - like the tallest building (just take a look at the picture to the left), the biggest carpet and the biggest Chandelier (both located at the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi). Our gallery with pictures of Dubai and Abu Dhabi can be found by following the link. Enjoy it!
And as always, here are some random life changing facts:
- A mind blowing experience: Sitting in front of a window in a Thai restaurant at the mall of the Emirates, listening to house music while enjoying great Thai food and thinking about the 40 degree temperature outside while watching the locals taking there first skiing lesson in the artificial winter landscape on the other side of the window. Snow was falling while all out of a sudden we felt this rush of insanity coming over us.
- A tourist trap: The gold souk - traditional market at the old town of Dubai city - One of the few places where you can get yourself an original Romex (Yes the brand is called Romex) for the fortune of 10$ (basis of negotiation).
- A must, must, MUST do: Visit the top of Burj Khalifa and enjoy the mother of all city views.
- A must eat: Camel burger - no you don't smoke it!
- A place for shopaholics: The Dubai Mall with it 1200 shops and restaurants the world's largest shopping mall.
- An important thing to know: Alcohol is only served at hotel bars and you can freely enter them.
- An interesting fact: Bus-stops are air conditioned - no wonder at top temperatures of 50 degree in summer.
- A social fact: More than 80% of the people are foreigners. Foreigners enjoy a 6 day work week, while locals get most of there work done in only 5 days.
- A sight seeing recommendation: A day tour to Abu Dhabi with a visit to the Sheikh Zayed Mosque.
- A crazy shopping experience: A visit to the dragon mall - for all your cheap replica needs (and probably a second place to get an original Romex).
- And, as always the best pub in town: The times cafe.
We hope you enjoyed our short Dubai and Abu Dhabi traveling guide and would appreciat it if you share it now using the buttons below. Thank you!